15 Nigerians On How They Feel When They Sight A White Foreigner in Nigeria.
Thing is, seeing a person of another race is so rare in Nigeria ( except for some little parts of course). And it's quite evident in the way people, especially those living in the rural areas stand and stare when they see a foreigner around. And it's totally normal to be a little wowed by new things or experiences you've not had before.
So, I decided to ask some of my fellow Nigerians what they think or feel when they sight a foreigner around.
1. I feel normal; I dont feel anything special. Because some foreigners are here (Nigeria) for business purposes. It's normal. I don't feel anything.
~ Temi Olamibo
2. I feel great. Because I think some come here to set up companies hence larger spectrum of work opportunities.
~ Ullah Ruth
3. I feel good basically. Because to see a white person in Nigeria is such a rare thing. It makes me feel good that they are here.
4. I think or feel that they are not making money in their own country so they are on a quest to make money. I think they were probably unemployed in their own country so they moved to Nigeria to try to have a job. 'Cos I don't understand why a foreigner will leave his nice country to suffer in Nigeria.
~ Damilola Abegunde
5. I feel excited. Because I think they love my country that's why they are here.
6. I feel really good that they could come here. In spite of the differences in climate, culture, and other factors duly considered for the purpose of their coming.
7. I feel sad because most of the time I see a foreigner in Nigeria they are usually working as a construction worker for a foreign construction company. I get sad because we have the expertise here in Nigeria. But generally, foreigners are good for the local economy especially in the aspect of tourism.
8. I feel good because they're doing good.
9. I don't have anything to say. Because I have a lot of things on my mind right now.
10. Well, the same way I feel when I see a fellow Nigerian. Because I see no difference between us. And one other thing is, seeing a white man does not mean that I should give him respect. I feel respect is earned.
11. To be honest, I feel really surprised because their color, nature and way of life is so different. And it makes me marvel at God's works.
12. LOL! I love it! Most times, I feel they should be my friend. Like for real, I love to see white people in my country and particularly to meet them!
13. I don't feel anything special. There's nothing special. Or am I supposed to feel anything special?
14. I feel excited and extremely happy.
15. Neutral. What is special?
~ Chang John
16. Name: Moyinoluwa (Which is me.. Hehe)
My Response: I answered in this article, My opinion.
So, Conclusion now right?
From the above responses, it can be said that more Nigerians feel surprised and honored to have Whites in their country. Or rather anyone of a different race from theirs. And it's completely explainable. New things are intriguing. Even more intriguing than what we see everyday. Some people didn't give positive response. Because yes, to each their own opinion.
I have to say, I didn't know surveys are this fun! I had a great time gathering the answers. Some answers made me laugh and some people weren't willing to contribute. But it was still a splendid experience. I'm planning to do more. So watch out! And.... You can subscribe to my blog above. The subscription link is at the top right corner of this page. I will be turning out more fun-to-read surveys of Nigerians.