15 Nigerians On How They Feel When They Sight A White Foreigner in Nigeria.



Being that Nigerians are used to seeing people of their own skin shade (from dark to fair tone), hair type and other similar physical attributes, I wondered what Nigerians thought and felt when they sight a foreigner ( That is someone of a completely different race from ours) in Nigeria.

Thing is, seeing a person of another race is so rare in Nigeria ( except for some little parts of course). And it's quite evident in the way people, especially those living in the rural areas stand and stare when they see a foreigner around. And it's totally normal to be a little wowed by new things or experiences you've not had before.


So, I decided to ask some of my fellow Nigerians what they think or feel when they sight a foreigner around.

1. I feel normal; I dont feel anything special. Because some foreigners are here (Nigeria) for business purposes. It's normal. I don't feel anything.
~ Temi Olamibo

2. I feel great. Because I think some come here to set up companies hence larger spectrum of work opportunities.
~ Ullah Ruth

3. I feel good basically. Because to see a white person in Nigeria is such a rare thing. It makes me feel good that they are here.
~ Segun

4. I think or feel that they are not making money in their own country so they are on a quest to make money. I think they were probably unemployed in their own country so they moved to Nigeria to try to have a job. 'Cos I don't understand why a foreigner will leave his nice country to suffer in Nigeria.
~ Damilola Abegunde

5. I feel excited. Because I think they love my country that's why they are here.
~ Elizabeth

6. I feel really good that they could come here. In spite of the differences in climate, culture, and other factors duly considered for the purpose of their coming.
~ Deji

7. I feel sad because most of the time I see a foreigner in Nigeria they are usually working as a construction worker for a foreign construction company. I get sad because we have the expertise here in Nigeria. But generally, foreigners are good for the local economy especially in the aspect of tourism.
~ Temitope



8. I feel good because they're doing good.
~ Busola

9. I don't have anything to say. Because I have a lot of things on my mind right now.
~ Alhaja

10. Well, the same way I feel when I see a fellow Nigerian. Because I see no difference between us. And one other thing is, seeing a white man does not mean that I should give him respect. I feel respect is earned.
~ Ken

11. To be honest, I feel really surprised because their color, nature and way of life is so different. And it makes me marvel at God's works.
~ Racheal

12. LOL! I love it! Most times, I feel they should be my friend. Like for real, I love to see white people in my country and particularly to meet them!
~ Toyin


13. I don't feel anything special. There's nothing special. Or am I supposed to feel anything special?
~ Caroline

14. I feel excited and extremely happy.
~ Sijuade

15. Neutral. What is special?
~ Chang John

16. Name: Moyinoluwa (Which is me.. Hehe)
    My Response: I answered in this article, My opinion.

So, Conclusion now right?
From the above responses, it can be said that more Nigerians feel surprised and honored to have Whites in their country. Or rather anyone of a different race from theirs. And it's completely explainable. New things are intriguing. Even more intriguing than what we see everyday. Some people didn't give positive response. Because yes, to each their own opinion.

I have to say, I didn't know surveys are this fun! I had a great time gathering the answers. Some answers made me laugh and some people weren't willing to contribute. But it was still a splendid experience. I'm planning to do more. So watch out!  And.... You can subscribe to my blog above. The subscription link is at the top right corner of this page. I will be turning out more fun-to-read surveys of Nigerians.

Comments

  1. This is great that they feel honoured to have us visit, in just the same way I would be honoured that a Nigerian visited our country as it's great to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! surveys are a great way of finding out what a group of people think! I like that they are honoured to have us in their country but what stuck out for me is that someone said that they don't respect them because their white, that they'll respect them if they have earned it! I like this - more people should realise that respect isn't guaranteed because of your colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Sure! Respect has to be earned..

      Delete
  3. This was really interesting. I thought it was fun to read the differences between people and what they thought. Great idea for a post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how they all have a different expression when they see someone. It would be interesting to ask those who are visiting how they feel. We should always embrace each other.

    Sondra (Prettyfitfoodie.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely try that suggestion haha. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely read! It's so nice that they feel that way, and why shouldn't they? I'd feel exactly the same if I was to meet a person from Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chelsea! That's good to know.

      Delete
  6. Cool and interesting perspective. World these days are so diverse, it's interesting to learn what people from different culture feels or experiences. I had few friends in high school who were from Nigeria. They are fun, happy and always supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting to see the varied opinions. I didn't realise that there were a lot of foreign construction workers in Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all of the time actually. Thank you

      Delete
  8. Beautiful post and eye opening. It is exciting to know that Nigeria is welcoming to foreigners visiting. So many nations seem to dislike Americans that it can be a bit overwhelming to know where to visit safely. Thank you for sharing the thoughts of the community. It warms my heart to hear such positive words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah, don't matter what country you belong or what color skin you have. What matters is what is within.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was really interesting to read, including the more detailed post that you used to address this yourself. It goes to show how different people view things like foreigners in different ways. Overall it would seem that Nigerians are a friendly and welcoming people. I am looking forward to seeing future survey posts to learn more about the perspectives and views of Nigerians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. I will be so glad to share!

      Delete
  11. it's great to learn about other people's perspective and thoughts because we are closed off at listening to others as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some of the comments made me happy. These were the ones that they liked having foreigner's or that they didn't see a difference. I live in the United States and I see people of different races and backgrounds every day so it doesn't spark anything in me because it's normal. The comments that made me sad were the ones that said foreigners take away jobs or there was one comment that wondered why they would want to suffer in Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol.. That's just that person's opinion for you.

      Delete
  13. How fun to read all of the different responses! Nigerians are so welcoming and sweet. I love how most said they feel good to see foreigners and that they're glad they're there. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say "Thank You!" On behalf of Nigerians. :))

      Delete
  14. I loved that you got the perspective of the local community. I think this is something that white people think about going to an African country, "how will we be perceived?" This post is definitely helpful and encouraging for people considering going to Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so nice how some, if not most, of Nigerians (generalizing from your sample) are excited or happy to see a white person in your country. All the while, reading their positive comments, I had an urge to visit. I was also saddened by some of the responses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had an urge to visit? Lol. That'd be cool!

      Delete
  16. What an awesome post and this is so Interesting for me. Skin color doesn't matter and I love that they are so nice and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I find it odd that some of the responses are saying it is rare to see foreigners in Nigeria. I have lived there and there are SO MANY foreigners in all parts of Nigeria, especially Lagos and Abuja. Besides, I don't think it is a big deal seeing foreigners, and not all foreigners are "white".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am completely aware of that. And these are not my opinions. There really is no big deal in skin color differences.

      Delete
  18. Pretty awesome to see another culture's perspective on a foreigner. I'm guessing that myself, being African American, would be seen as just that or as a local Nigerian (depending on what I was wearing). I'd be interested to see their response to that question too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would really love to ask that! Thanks for the amazing suggestion! It came in handy.

      Delete
  19. I can understand all of the different feelings that your people have about others going into your country. I just hope that the people who come are doing good while there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I trust they're doing good. Thank you David.

      Delete
  20. its good to hear real views and opinions - keeping it raw and honest :!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely idea for a post! Gathering the thoughts of a number of people instead of just your own! I really like it!


    www.nmdiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think it's only natural to react like how these Nigerians would when they see someone who looks a little different. We're all just human and when something stands out we get curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. We get curious about new things. Things that we're not used to.

      Delete
  23. This was such an interesting read. And just goes to show how different everyone is, no matter their colour or creed :)

    Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such an interesting post! I love that you have shared what the culture thinks about others coming to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A very nice post. You were able to showcase the insights the countries people, not just providing your own opinion. This is also a good way of showing how they think and react with foreigners - meaning to say they welcome, eventhough we are on different races.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Whatcha Say?

Popular Posts