4 Reasons Why Nigerians are So Conservative.


Being conservative means to resist change or innovation. To want to maintain the status quo as it is and not have it changed.

We Nigerians preach to ourselves to not be so conservative or narrow minded quite well. It must have been some Nigerian that noticed that "being conservative" was a Nigerian thing and then blew the whistle.

We Nigerians don't like to hear that something can be done another way. To most of us, the way to do it is the traditional way. No other way is acceptable. We believe that's the way it has always being done, and that it should remain that way.

A good example is in the way we throw away food wrappers. Every time I correct a fellow Nigerian on how very wrong it is to throw food wrappers on the floor, they always say something like this, "Look at you! Everybody does it. So what difference will it make if I decide not to throw?" And then they'll keep trying to defend their action no matter the angle I come from. So, I usually just hands up on trying to reorient my fellow Nigerian friends on how lame it is to litter the environment with non decomposable wraps.

So, why are Nigerians so conservative? Why don't they accept that there are different ways to do different things?

•••• We want to preserve our culture.




Apart from the food wrap example, most Nigerian parents especially the mothers prefer to use traditional methods to do things. For example,most Nigerian parents are staunch advocates of whipping their children. They believe their own parents brought them up that way so they should also bring up their children like that as well.

But there are other ways of raising a responsible child that don't involve inflicting pain or injury on the child. There are dozen other methods to raise kids.  But which Nigerian parent will want to listen to you tell them that? They'll just tell you, "spare the rod, and spoil the child". Lol. They don't even want to hear your opinion.

They believe culture should be preserved. And I understand. It's necessary to preserve our culture. We should. But whipping our kids? Every Nigerian has probably heard one tragic story or the other of a parent, out of annoyance, beating their child to death. All for what? Because they want to enforce discipline.
The good aspects of the culture should be preserved and the unhealthy aspects be thrown away.

•••• We are so unreceptive to change.

We are not accepting of change. At least the most of us. We don't want to believe it can be done another way. After all, we always believed the former method was the ultimate. Which is why we are still struggling to drop some unprogressive habits embedded in our culture.

•••• We are afraid of perceived consequences.

Female genital mutilation has been in the news lately in Nigeria. Because in some parts of Nigeria, it is still being practised. They cut some parts of the female's genital because it is believed to be essential for some traditional rites. And again, they do it because that's the way it's done.

Usually, they attach some form of consequence if these practices are not followed. So, usually Nigerians don't drop some cultural acts because they're so afraid of the consequences attached.
This is also very similar to the Killing of twins in Nigeria precisely in Calabar, although it was later stopped.

•••• We are very stubborn.


We’re usually like, if it can't be done our way, it can't be done any other way.
Yes, Nigerians are incredibly stubborn. We believe we are always right and our way is the best. Forgetting that no one entirely knows everything in this world.

WORDS OF ADVICE:

Being conservative doesn't pay really. It's best to keep an open mind in life. It allows you to various opportunities, to explore. We Nigerians are just gradually leaving behind conservative acts and attitudes and we are keeping open minds a lot more, mainly due to awareness.
Understanding why we're conservative is one step in the right direction to us being the best versions of ourselves.


Comments

  1. Very interesting article. I don't think I've ever met a Nigerian person in person. I think many cultures focus on the "traditional" and don't like moving on though -- it's an issue that many of us encounter in our lives :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nigerians are very pleasant to meet really. I just thought to address some of our issues. So we can help ourselves get better.

      Delete
  2. That was such an interesting read and great insight into the thought process of Nigerians. Hopefully, Female genital mutilation will be something of the past soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this post. I love learning about different cultures. I don't think I've ever met a Nigerian so it was really nice to learn a little

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have enlightened you a bit. *smiles*

      Delete
  4. This is so interesting, I think it's important to understand other cultures and the reasons why they are a certain way. Preserving your culture is very important to some people, great article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great read - it really gives you an insight into the Nigerian way of life and the thoughts/feelings of Nigerians.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this post so interesting as I have never been to Nigeria. Change does take time in any society and there will always be resistance to it from those who fear it. All you can do is to slowly change attitudes over time through setting examples and being patient. People will eventually follow when they can see something is better although it obviously won't happen overnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes change takes time. You are very right. We are actually adapting quite well. But it doesn't change the fact that we're quite conservative.

      Delete
  7. Uhmm this post is educative for me about Nigerians. Now I know few things about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to educate you. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing this, I haven't met many nigerians but I was always intrigued by your culture. Now I have a little bit more perspectiive :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an Interesting article and I love to read more about their culture. Glad that you share this with us

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I don't believe all Nigerians are conservative. Majority of the Nigerians I know are so not conservative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the ones you know are not. Perhaps they are well educated. Because I discovered the less educated Nigerians are very conservative. Very..

      Delete
  11. None of my Nigerian friends fit your description above. They are no more conservative than anyone else I know. I also think your comment about Ajepakos being lazy is very stereotypical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mean to stereotype really. Probably that's how you see it. But I've corrected it. Thank you.

      Delete
  12. Its always interesting to read a different article . I've never been to Nigeria and glad to read your post . From here I can learn a little bit about Nigerian culture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you loved it! Thank you.

      Delete
  13. What an interesting statement, I really did not think this at all of Nigerians. I think we all find change difficult and it takes time to embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can be sometimes hard to accept change.

      Delete
  14. I had a college classmate who was Nigerian. I would say she was conservative, or shy maybe because she was in a foreign country. Thanks for this article. It is always nice to know something about another culture.



































    ReplyDelete
  15. Such an interesting post, I do think that being conservative or open-minded depends on the environment you grow up in and your culture. I didn't know that it was a characteristic feature of Nigerian women but I agree with you that it's always better to keep an open mind and to accept changes. You never know how many amazing things could come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post. I never knew such thing with Nigerian women but being conservative is not a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a bad thing. But being open minded pays. A lot.

      Delete
  17. I can definitely understand why you would want to preserve your culture. And that does make one resistant to change. And being afraid of consequences also does that. I just don't know why they would want to throw wrappers on the floor. That doesn't seem conservative, even if everyone else is doing it. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's okay to stick to tradition especially since it's a huge part of who you are. I think you can be conservative and open to changes at the same time. You just have to know where the limit is set.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing a little bit of the Nigerian culture with us, I don't have any Nigerian friends, but it is always good to learn about different cultures. I agree, it is always good to keep an open mind in life, no matter your culture or where you come from. It just makes life a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maybe you need to preface your posts by saying you are talking about a specific segment of the population. Your generalizations are a bit much. As a Nigerian, I find your posts are playing to negative stereotypes that don't show all sides of that great nation. If Mark Zuckerberg found innovative spirits on his visit to Nigeria, and our art, music, and other creative endeavors are enjoyed around the world, you can find something good to say about Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eliz! I'll amend the article very soon

      Delete
  21. This is a great read! Thanks for sharing... Very informative and great post! Now I know few things more. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think this is great! if where I'm from had so much culture like you do I wouldn't want it to change! Brilliant blog post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Whatcha Say?

Popular Posts